The power packed chia seeds come in white, black or dark brown color and is one of the most popular superfoods in the health community today.
It’s a flowering plant from the native Mexican mint family and history proves that it has always been an important food crop for the Aztecs.
While it was regularly used in native countries, it has grown in popularity in North America and the world over the past few decades for these many health benefits of chia seeds.
1. Helps treat diabetes as it slows down digestion and prevents blood sugar spikes.
2. Increased fiber intake for improved digestive health. An ounce serving of chia seeds gives 11 gms of dietary fiber and a third of the recommended daily intake for adults.
3. Full of omega-3 fatty acids required for brain health. An ounce serving gives 5 Gms which is much more than what flax seed gives.
5. Chia seeds are rich in manganese and Phosphorus required for healthy bones, teeth and for your body to use other essential nutrients like biotin and thiamin.
6. Full of protein, chia seeds is a great protein source for vegetarians without cholesterol. A gram of the seeds gives 4.4 grams of proteins or 10% of your daily requirement.
7. Helps fight belly fat by stabilizing blood sugar levels and thus fighting insulin resistance which is related to increased belly fat.
8. Chia seeds contain the amino acid tryptophan helps regulate your appetite and sleep and improves your mood.
9. Chia seeds also improve blood pressure in diabetics and increases healthy cholesterol while lowering total LDL and triglyceride cholesterol.
10. The unique gelling action of the seeds help you lose weight without starving.
You can add them to anything you eat and when exposed to water, the seeds increase in its size and weight but not calories. It helps your stomach feel full and helps you lose weight without starving!
11. As chia seeds are high in protein, they help completely raise your energy levels so that you feel more energized all day long.
Its combined protein, vitamins, minerals and blood-sugar balancing gel ensures you have steady energy throughout the day.
12. Chia seeds are so high in antioxidants that they remain fresh and ready to eat for two years at room temperature, without any chemicals or preservatives! No other seeds like flax or sesame seeds or berries have as much antioxidant content.
So now you know the many health benefits for chia seeds, try adding them to your diet wherever possible.
As they are tasteless, they can be added to salads, smoothies toast or even ice cream without changing its flavor.